"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved." Ephesians 1:3-6

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Made: Easy Patriotic Wreath

My friend and I set out on a last minute wreath making girls-night-in. So within a few clicks on Pinterest I found this cute wreath!

We figured we'd be patriotic and make a wreath that can go up for Memorial Day! 

Our criteria was that I had to be able to go purchase it all at walmart and it had to be cheap and easy enough for one night to complete.

Materials:
Blue yarn
Red yarn
White yarn
White craft foam
Hot glue
Straw wreath


The straw wreath was under $3, the yarn was each $2.77 and the foam was .33 cents--so this is a cheap DIY!
 
**Leave the plastic on the wreath! (and you could use another type of wreath, but this was the cheapest option at Walmart.  If I had more time and had planned ahead, maybe I would have gone to a hardware store and bought foam.  The dollar store has pool noodles, but those seemed hard to keep in the circle shape.)

First we did the blue. We did about a quarter if the wreath.

We didn't officially measure anything, just eye balled it all.

Sometimes we tied the yarn to start, sometimes I used hot glue and sometimes I tucked behind current yarn. No real rhyme or reason.


Easy peasy! It did take longer than I thought it would but that's because I was trying to line the yarn up super neat and straight. Then my friend started doubling up (fold the yarn in half) and wrap it that way. 
I also was cutting my yarn pieces too long and getting knots in it which slowed me down!

For the stars, the original tutorial used cards tick. I saw this foam and thought it would work well. 
We used cookie cutters to make an impression then cut on the lines--no pen marks!! :)

We used hot glue to secure the stars on the wreath and viola! Our wreath was finished!!

I plan to use a burlap strip to hang from the door!



 Here is the original tutorial I found for this wreath.   Here is the wreath that I really wanted to do, but don't quite have the time!

1 comment:

  1. So nice and easy!! Love it! I thought you were way ahead and making one for the 4th! :)

    ReplyDelete